Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Pet Safety

Just how safe is your pet, especially when it is out in the yard? Can other animals get to it or harm it? Can it get into the traffic and be hit by a vehicle? What about it's safety regarding children and other people? Did you know it can take only a few minutes for even a well trained pet to get mad at and harm a human if provoked or tormented? I have seen these things happen with my own eyes, and the outcomes in all circumstances can hurt in more ways than one.

There are so many animals that get hit by vehicles unnecessarily. All because they may have been curious at what they may have seen on the opposite side of the street, or because they were playing with their owner or a child, and happen to chase a ball or Frisbee that headed into the roadway.

I have seen first hand, animals attack each other, just because of wanting to have dominance, or there's a jealousy factor. I also know of instances where children were harming an animal just out of the fun of doing so. The animal actually withstood a good lot of it, until finally it had enough because it was beginning to hurt the animal. The animal decided to defend itself and hurt back, and the outcome ended up where the animal had to be put down.

I live in an area which is kind of like a mini town in a rural area. The speed limit is only 30 mph, but how many people do you know that actually drive the speed limit? Within seven years of living in this little hamlet of a town, I watched at least 10 animals get hit and killed by vehicles on one road alone. Sometimes, I feel like people just don't care, whether it be the owner or the one who done the damage.

About 50% of my neighborhood thinks I am cruel to my dogs, because I put them on a chain when they are out in the yard to play or do their business. I feel it is for their safety because I love them. Others say it is cruel and ask how I would feel if I was put on a chain or leash.

There are other ways of course to keep your pets safe in the yard. There are fences you can put up, and/or even invisible fences now. I myself have an exceptionally large yard, and for me to try and put up fencing would be quite costly. As for now, I think the chain has been working quite well. My dogs are the only original dogs in the neighborhood from seven years ago. I think that speaks for itself.

And while we are on the subject of safety for your pets, it is extremely beneficial to make sure your pet is up to date on shots, as well as any other medications, and flea and tic repellant. It doesn't matter whether you live in the city or the country, there is always a potential for your animal to be wounded, catch a disease from another animal, or to get infected by fleas and tics. Prevention is always better than having to endure the expense and consequences of sickness, the treatments and perhaps death.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home